Tuesday, July 11, 2006

A good sign?

The YFE fellows are trying to get facts from the government.

A good sign or a bad sign?

Well, it is good that they are going after some facts at last! But what bothers me is their attitude towards this.

Claiming that they wanted to "expose" the central government's inability to uplift the backward classes since Independence, the members sought to know if students of reserved category were ever given any scholarships or financial help.

Seems to me like a very negative attitude. The thing is that they have already decided the result of their enquiry and are just trying to get some facts that would support their claims, ie, they are trying to get the data to fit their theory and not the other way around.

The thing is that whatever be the statistics, they will find a way to twist it and play it to their tune. The sad part would be that they might actually do it unconsciously because their effort would be to look at the stats with the aim to argue against reservations.

I hope that they do get the stats. I hope that they would look at the stats with an open mind and not with pre-conceived notion based on rumours and anectodal evidence.

The thing is that I am not sure that they would. But I would say that this is a good effort.

, , ,

4 comments:

gaddeswarup said...

There is too much anecdotal evidence. It would be good to have a quantative survey like the one by Thomas Weisskof in EPW, 2004.

Anonymous said...

Know what! All the things you accuse them of doing are precisely the things you are doing. Its not the first time Y4E has been demanding the facts - that's what they were demanding all through. Provided you cared to listen and not look at them through your prejudices glasses. And it is the pro-quota moralists who have been basing their pre-conceived notions on anecdotal evidence. It is the government which has been avoiding any look into the numbers (need I remind "Devil's advocate").

While you may keep criticising the dogmas of life, it is you people who are the equivalent of religious domgma propagators today. "Social Justice" has become the dogmatic religion of the day. Anything priests preached in the name of religion used to become unquestionable. Anything preached in the name of social justice becomes unquestionable in the eyes of people like you and anyone raising questions is casteist, selfish and most pathetically "not open minded" according to you.

But why am I wasting my time? Sorry - once in a while find it difficult to withhold. Live in your dogmatic world Sir. And keep believing that you are the most open minded of all. I can only pity you. Power is on your side today - true. But otherwise, you stand nowhere.

abhaga said...

Veerappa Moily headed committee decided to organize a colloquium on the ways to implement reservation. They invited some of the best known experts from related fields most of them being "pro-quota" if you like tyo use that term. The moment they started saying some sane things, looking at real solutions, the colluquium was postponed indefinitely, committee chided for working outside its terms of reference. But I didn't see any comment from you on the open mindedness of govt. Oh ! but govt is supposed to be political, they are excused form everything. Right?

Madhat said...

@swarup: true.

@anon: Its not the first time Y4E has been demanding the facts

Oh! I thought that they were just being rhetorical. My mistake...

Provided you cared to listen

I did initially but all I heard was some crazy, angry talk and then I stopped listening.

need I remind "Devil's advocate"

? If you are referring to my post with that title, I do not see how it fits in with your argument.

"Social Justice" has become the dogmatic religion of the day.

yes, I embrace it wholeheartedly! :P

anyone raising questions is casteist, selfish and most pathetically "not open minded" according to you

Bullshit!

Coming from you, that is appalling. Is that all you have to say or do you anything constructive to say other than to make angry, abusive rants?

And keep believing that you are the most open minded of all.

I am not perfect. Never said I was. In fact, I would be the first to say that. But of course, you are making some point over there about how intransigent I am, arnt you? Well, I do have the excuse to stonewall you when all I hear from you is how thick-skulled I am.

Power is on your side today - true. But otherwise, you stand nowhere.

If it were, the world would be a much better place. :P

@abhaya: thank you very much for the info. I had no idea of such a committee. I am an ignorant twerp who has a problem that he just cannot shut up. Sorry for any inconveniences.

Oh ! but govt is supposed to be political, they are excused form everything. Right?

yes, that is true. I have no issues with its neo-liberal economic policies and its high defence budget and pro-'india shining' efforts and industrialists getting party tickets to get into the parliament and ...
thank you for reminding me of how wrong I am.

Site Analytics

Powered by Blogger

eXTReMe Tracker

Powered By Blogger